My Antique Fair Lady

17:35:00 MoonDoggie 2 Comments

Went 'antiquing' this weekend to see what I could find - with a strong focus on midcentury stuff, of course. We didn't get off to a great start as it seems loads of places that used to have loads of antique stores have now dwindled to 1 or 2. Went to three villages/towns and only really struck 'gold' at the last place we went to.

I first spotted this lovely green vase - I was told it was Edwardian but I'm not so sure. The owner was closing down (or so he said) so he gave me a deal on it and then proceeded to bargain everything else we looked at too.
Next to catch my eye was this blue vase, which he claimed to be from the 50s.
Then I saw this lovely box with wooden inlays that look quite detailed to my untrained eye. It was a better quality than most boxes we'd seen that day and when I opened it and heard the music, I decided I needed to have it.

I don't think it's midcentury - at least not 50s/60s but the owner hazarded a guess at late 60s/70s. Again, I'm not so sure. Inside is what looks to be a date (11/6/35), but as it is written in ballpoint pen, I don't think it relates to when the box was made. However, I should add that the ball point pen appears to have been written over another marking so it's still possible. Perhaps someone with more knowledge may be able to shed some light on how old it is, but I think it's sweet.

I thought the round glass container looked quite cool and would come in handy. The guy then said that if I bought the music box, he'd throw it in for free - SOLD.


There was an antique fair being held that day but we'd run out of steam by that point. So I talked my ever-patient husband into going to the fair today. I'm glad I did because I found this gorgeous cruet set - I now know that means a salt, pepper and mustard holder set. I didn't have much cash on me so managed to get it a lot cheaper than was originally being asked for. It's Carlton Ware which didn't mean much to me at the time but after a bit of research, I've found my set was made in 1969. It will look lovely on the white tulip dining table I WILL have :)


Apologies for the shoddy camera work - there were lighting and technical issues.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh like the set good choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool stuff! Wish I could help out with more info, but I'm just learning myself. The cruets are my fave!

    ReplyDelete