Swinging Carnaby

21:16:00 MoonDoggie 4 Comments

I've just found out through Retro-To-Go that Carnaby Street is having a sixties event - 'Swinging Carnaby'. It's part of the 'Story of London' initiative happening this month, which to be honest, I've only just heard about. I'm thinking of going - if I can scrape enough together for a train fare ;). It will be held on the 13th and 14th June. You can find more information about the event on the Carnaby Street website.

I've been to Carnaby Street a few times now and truth be told, it's not what it used to be - from what I've seen it was at least. In my imagination it looks a lot like this:


Sixties City

Or the Austin Powers opening dance number which always gives me a giggle:



Or that scene in 'Smashing Time' I posted about a while ago - which I STILL haven't seen!
In reality, it's a lot less exciting these days with only a few reminders of it's hey-day. But there are a couple of vintage shops that may hold some treasures.

I found another video of actual footage of Carnaby Street in the 60s.

So what do you think? It's gotta be worth a look, right?

4 comments:

  1. I think you should go! I also think you should go by Jump the Gun and pick me up some Sta-prest pants or Ben Sherman for a nice set of Chelsea Boots. Oh yeah, thanks for the gifts by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gifts?
    Jem got gifts?
    What'd he get, what'd he get?
    Carnaby reminds me of something we have here in the U.S. called the Haight Ashbury district, in San Francisco. It was quite a scene back in the 1960s! Or was that more of a hippie thing? Well, it was similar!
    I vote that you smash your piggy bank and go to 'Swinging Carnaby' WITH your camera. Then, you can have a Show & Tell for the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha - Jem got no gifts from me I'm afraid. He's hoping I'll get him the pants and boots. I'd love to dear Jem, but I'll be lucky to get there at all let alone buy stuff! I really want to go but we also need to make our way in to London the next weekend. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You MUST go - for those of us on other continents who have no hope of going! And like Anthony said, take lots of pix!

    You should also wear a trapeze mini-dress, maybe in orange. :-)

    ReplyDelete