Better Homes and Balet

14:05:00 MoonDoggie 0 Comments

If you're into mid century modern, chances are you've probably come across this splendiferous magazine cover:


source: The Ward-O-Matic

The cover is from the September 1958 issue of Better Homes and Gardens and was illustrated by Jan Balet. I would love to have a copy of this cover hanging on my wall. I am particularly in love with the typically midcentury trees. To take in more of the details, a larger image can be seen here.

I am so jealous of the lucky people who have the opportunity to live in houses like these (you know who you are!). I have been keeping an eye out for houses built in the 50s and 60s in my area (and beyond) in a hopes to find just some of the features these houses have.

Jan Balet also did a series of stunning advertisements for Lee's carpets. The last one is my favourite:




There's almost an explosion of colour to help represent the chaos but it looks oh! so fun. I also love the mod house at the bottom with its Mondrian style colours.
I'm holding a few others back to share with you closer to Christmas - you won't be disappointed!

0 comments: