KatOH - Daiba

18:24:00 MoonDoggie 4 Comments

While looking for more Shinzi Katoh fabulousness, I came across pictures of these bears...... and I was really pleased to see them.


When we were in Tokyo, my fabulous and gorgeous Japanese friend, Akiko took us to Odaiba.

Odaiba is built on reclaimed land and connected to the mainland by Rainbow Bridge and the monorail. I had been once before when it was home to the world's largest ferris wheel at the time (that title now goes to the Singapore Flyer).


Odaiba Ferris Wheel image: colddayforpontooning via flickr


It was (and probably still is) a very popular dating spot for couples and Akiko and I were both free and single at the time. We found it quite funny that in the massive queue, we seemed to be the only people there who were not part of a couple.
But I digress, this time we came across these gorgeous bears and it was vaguely explained to us as having something to do with the environment.
I had no idea at the time, that these bears are characters created by Shinzi Katoh for his children's book about global warming. To be honest, I don't think I'd even heard of Shinzi Katoh but I'm sure I'd come across many of his designs without even realising it.
You can find out more here but basically these two brothers will stop crying when humans finally manage to repair the damage
Also found to be found at Odaiba, is this funky, eyecatching building - the Fuji TV headquarters.

image via WikiTravel

4 comments:

  1. Ooohh, those darling bears are both adorable and little heartbreaking. I just want to scoop them up, dry their tears and tell them everything is going to be ok.


    Thank you very much for your recent visit and lovely words, sweet dear, I really appreciate that you stopped by :)


    Wishing you a gorgeous & blissful day,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love them! I love characters. Do you know Mashimaro?

    FourthGradeNothing.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica - you're more than welcome! :D

    Ally - Is he a chubby little rabbit named after a marshmallow (Japanese pronunciation)? If so, then no, I didn't know him til you mentioned him. But he's a little cutie, alright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that building, looks like a giant pinball! Those bears are so sad, It took me a minute to notice the melted iceberg under their feet. Awwww.

    ReplyDelete